Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Edge is DONE, man! 6.30.10; 2:57pm



"Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles." - Frank Lloyd Wright

A sign reading “Santa Monica” etched into the overpass of the Pacific Coast Highway brings a welcome sense of pride that threatens to pop the seams of all that leather. The helmet starts to fog up and immediately emotions are put into check until the intersection where it all started is found and a safe spot on the side of the road brings me in. Can’t start blubbering now, I won’t be able to see where I’m going. It’s hard to choke back the tornadic emotions that swirl together like a frog in a blender. Relief, excitement, pride, contentment, elation are a few that can be named, but there are those that rear their heads from the 9th circle of emotions that scream as loud as the others. It’s a mixed can o’ nuts and as the course is set to make way for Ocean and Broadway, the completely thinkable happens. I get lost. Christ. Really? Of course, I’m in a city.

After a 10 minute detour, the spot where it all began is found, the kickstand is set down and Betty purrs into silence. The perimeter of the United States is complete. An estimated 17,774 miles exploring all the nooks, crannies and crags of our nation’s outermost borders and coastlines. Here are the stats usually saved for the monthly updates:

Days on the road: 132

Miles traveled: 19,734

Pairs of Sunglasses: 5 (still holding, fingers crossed)

States: 32 plus D.C. and Canada

Time Zones Traversed: 5 (plus a double up on the American 4)

Current Location: Studio City, CA

The “MOST” places visited: 4 corners of U.S. plus:
• Southernmost point in U.S. – Keywest, FL
• Easternmost point in U.S. – Quoddy Head, ME
• Northernmost point in U.S. – Northwest Angle, MN
• Westernmost point in U.S. – Cape Alava, WA

It AIN’T over yet! There is still a formidable chunk of American highway to traverse before getting back to all the creatures and comforts of home. Route 66 does not stand in the way, but glows like a runway that will guide me and the Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle home. For now, this is a small victory that I shall relish with a ginormous shit eating grin.

"The bike may break me. The road may take me. I'll forever be alive knowing that I followed the road paved by my heart."

1 comment: