Monday, April 19, 2010

4.19.10 - The 2nd Month Anniversary of Ride the Edge Update:

It’s the Danniversary! 2 months of Harley and road living, so I thought that you would like to get some quick stats:

Days on the road: 60
Miles traveled: 7,244
Pairs of Sunglasses: 5
States: 9 (currently Georgia)
Temperature variance: 63 degrees

There comes a point, I assume, in the career of every biker when the stark dividing line between man and machine begins to blur, if not completely dissolve into an innate fluidity of motion. This defining moment, where the relationship between bike and rider becomes harmoniously united, happened to me when the odometer read around 6,000 miles (4,800 of this trip). Until this point, my motions had been rigid, text-book, mechanical, methodical and lacking the “feeling” or the “touch” that makes for a truly pleasurable riding experience. The safety course instructors’ words all still echo in my head and riding now is not simply done on instinct or feel alone, there is now a symbiotic relationship between the technical and the natural. Riding has now rolled into a smooth symphony that flows intuitively through me, Betty and the road . Those of you that ride, you know what I’m talking about. The melding of skill and confidence in you and your bike is one of the greatest feelings and recognitions that can be experienced by a biker. Those riders that have not experienced this yet, and it happens at different times for each rider and bike, get out there and start making some miles. Your time will come too, an epiphany on the road awaits you.

Thank you to all that have given me food, shelter, company and your generosity. Thank you to all that have followed and supported me along this journey, you help to keep me going. I will ride on and keep you all with me.

"The bike may break me. The road may take me. But I'll forever be alive knowing that I followed the road paved by my heart."

2 comments:

  1. Dan, Sam Weigel here. We met briefly in Key West, I was the guy with the old BMW doing a very similar route to yours, only over more time and in stages. Dawn and I love the blog so far and are looking forward to reading about the rest of your sojourns! When we met, I mentioned that I have a blog as well. Here's the address: fl250.blogspot.com. It's mostly an aviation blog - as that's my day job - but a fair amount of the recent content has concerned my ride around the States. My bike is currently in Atlanta and the plan is to take it to Maine and back down to Boston in the next few weeks, so perhaps our paths will cross again. Ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey buddy! We miss you and hope all is well. I love your updates especially the number of sunglasses that you have gone through. I also assume that your butt hurts from sitting on your bike all day. Can't wait to see you on the CA side of the world! xo Jacyn

    ReplyDelete